« Home | Philosophy of Argument: Use this tool » | Anna Nic-OLD NEWS » | Now distributing codyBREW » | New Years Resolution(s) » | Divided attention and the amazing relevance of unr... » | new J-O-B » | So much going on » | on the hunt » | Redemption » | And now, a test »

What skill would you like to improve?

I saw this question asked on somebody else's blog, and I immediately got a rush of excitement. I thought it was a great question because it shows what your short term and long terms goals are (or how they are affected), and it also gives the answerer an opportunity to reflect on their self-image and organize their scattered thoughts into ones that are progressive. We should all do this from time to time.

The problem is: I can sit here and rattle off about 50 skills that I want to improve- and I'm not stretching it either. Don't believe me?
creative writing, drawing, speed reading, critical thinking, quick thinking (on my feet), inhibitions, running, keeping a healthy diet, basketball (collection of skills), designing interfaces, organizing, keeping to schedules, scoping time and projects, social skills, speaking skills, speaking in public, story telling, snowboarding, backpacking, survivor skills, beer brewing, graphic design, 3D and CAD Design, building with raw materials, fixing automobiles...

I'm half way there and I haven't even gotten to my relationship skills, household skills, and any work-specific skills like project strategy,prototyping, or web design skills...and it only took me a minute or two.

Am I too unfocused? I mean- it's really unrealistic for me to reach a level that I'd be happy with in just a few of these areas, let alone all of them! But, why can't I just stick to a few things I am good at and make myself better? Why do I spread myself so thin? Am I lessening my potential for greatness??? Am I a scatter-brained, indecisive, identity-less dreamer?

Anyway, I realized the question was asking for the ONE skill most desired to improve. So, my answer is doing comical impressions of mutual friends.

Labels: , ,